St. Paul Wage & Hour Lawyer

Denied Fair Pay or Overtime Wages in Minnesota? Call (651) 419-3615

Does your employer owe you unpaid wages? Are they paying you below minimum wage? If any of these are true, you may have legal recourse to ensure that you are treated fairly as an employee under the law. Get in touch with our team of Saint Paul employment lawyers to learn if you have a valid wage and hour claim on your hands. We will get you paid.

Why Hire Our Wage & Hour Attorneys?

  • 30+ years’ collective legal experience
  • Zealous, trial-tested advocacy and a strong track record
  • Free consultation over the phone or in person

Receive a free case review by calling (651) 419-3615 or request one online.

Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) mandates the federal wage and hour laws, in addition to state laws in place. The federal minimum wage is currently $7.25 per hour as of 2015. However, the minimum wage in Minnesota is $8 per hour for large employers and $6.50 per hour for small employers. On August 1, 2015, this will change to $9 and $7.25, respectively. Because state law is more generous to workers, employers must abide by these minimum wage laws.

  • Due to federal and state law, employers are required to:
  • Pay their employees at least minimum wage
  • Pay their employees for all hours worked
  • Pay their employees time and a half for overtime (in excess of a 40-hr work week)
  • Allow their employees to take reasonable restroom and meal breaks

In addition to minimum wage laws, employers are also expected to pay overtime for employees who work more than 40 hours per week. Please be aware, however, that not every job qualifies for overtime wages.

W-2 vs. 1099 Workers

In the United States, workers are divided into independent contractors, who receive a 1099 tax form, and employees, who receive a W-2 tax form. Depending on which category that you fall into, the way in which taxes are paid and wages are earned varies.

Whatever category you are in, employers are expected to pay the full amount you are owed for your labor and abide by laws that are in place to protect workers. Employers often intentionally misclassify employees as independent contractors to avoid paying employment taxes. You can verify your employment status and eligibility for back wages with our firm and from there, we can take necessary action.

Get Answers in a Free Consultation

If you are owed unpaid wages, unpaid commission, overtime wages, or are having wages unfairly withheld or not paid in full, our St. Paul employment lawyers at Capitol City Law Group, LLC can look over your case and help you get the compensation you deserve.

Contact us at (651) 419-3615 to speak with our team about your case!


Prev Next

Free Case Evaluation

We are passionate about standing up for the underdog and helping to make sure that their rights are protected.
Get started with a completely free and no-obligation case consultation with our dedicated team.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.